Buying a domain is the starting point for a law firm’s website. When choosing your domain it’s important to remember that your site needs to perform well in search engines. The domain is one of several factors which impacts this search performance. This is because of the fact that Google looks to the domain as part of its gaining an understanding of what your site is about. Picking the right domain helps your law firm’s site get off to a good start with the search engines.
Picking the right domain for your law firm’s website will impact SEO
Several new types of domains became available in October of 2014. These new domains include those ending in “.lawyer” and “.attorney.” We’re suggesting to legal professionals that any new law firm websites be built with these extensions and, for those with existing sites, that they prepare to migrate over in the near future.
Click the following link to read an in-depth discussion on how to pick a .attorney or .lawyer domain for your law firm. A few basics to follow, when choosing a domain, include the following:
- Use Separators – This helps the search engines in understanding your site’s content and is one of many factors that can help you rank better in search. So, for example, use “my-city-injury-law.lawyer” rather than “mycityinjurylaw.lawer.” These separators should be hyphens and not underscores.
- Use descriptive wording – Again, the search engines look to a domain as part of understanding what terms a site should rank for. This means that “my-city-injury-law.lawyer” is a better choice for your SEO than is “my-name-law.lawyer.” This use of geography helps with SEO (assuming you are targeting a local market).
- Lock up the variations of a domain to protect your brand – When you purchase “domain.lawyer” also purchase “domain.attorney,” “domain.com,” etc. to protect your brand.
Attorneys are quickly purchasing these domains so it is important you get yours now.
How To Buy .Attorney & .Lawyer Domains
- Visit the SEO For Lawyers website domain store
- Search for the domains you wish to purchase and click “select” to add them to your cart
- Search for any other additional domains you wish to purchase and add them to your cart as well
- Once you have selected all the domains you wish to purchase, click “proceed to checkout”
- You will be asked if you want to “protect your personal information.” Ownership is public record unless you choose the privacy option. Many businesses leave this information public but it is up to you.
- You will also be provided with the option to purchase other products/services. If you are just starting up, and wish to build your own website, then you may require the website builder plan and/or hosting. If you wish to add an email account to your new domain then you may do so as well.
- Create your account, or enter your login information if you have previously created an account with us, and complete your purchase. During the process you will be asked to identify your accrediting body. This is the state bar through which you are licensed.
- You will receive an email verifying that you now own the domains.
Thanks for stopping by!